I see from my server logs; I am starting to get hits on people searching for help with the same VW stuck in park problem I had. In hopes that this helps others out, I’m posting the steps I got from VW’s roadside assistance below. These instructions worked on my 2002 VW Golf GLS with an automatic transmission, but may or may not work on any other vehicle. And I make no claim that they are safe to use on any vehicle. So if you follow these instructions, you do so at your own risk!
- Press down on the break pedal 5 times.
- On the 5 time, hold down the break pedal and start the car.
- Let the car run for 5 seconds, while still holding down the break pedal, and then turn it off.
- Again while still holding down the break pedal, give the key a one quarter turn in the ignition.
- Still holding down the break pedal, move the gear shift so that it is between Neutral and Drive.
- Finally, with your foot holding down the break pedal, start the car. Hopefully, you can now shift your into whatever gear you need and drive it to the nearest VW service center to get it fixed.