I could have sworn I’d posted this recipe before, but I can’t seem to find it right now. *shrug* In any case, Liquid Sunshine is something some friendsThanks again, Aric & Kim! introduced us to a few years back and we’ve been making it every winter since. Liquid Sunshine Holiday Edition is a new twist on the recipe that we came up with this year and it works surprising well, especially when you don’t have the best oranges to start from.
Liquid Sunshine (Holiday Edition)
- 1, Orange
- 1, Lemon
- 1, Lime
- Honey, 12-16oz
- Old-Fashioned Peppermint Sticks (Holiday Edition, optional) The holiday edition works best with the chalky, crumbly peppermint sticks rather than the glossy, brittle candy canes.
- Slice the fruit as thinly as you can and then chop the slices into tiny pieces.
- Place all the fruit into a Tupperware container, along with as much of the fruit juices as you can.
- Pour the honey over the top of the fruit, covering the fruit entirely.
- Seal the container and place in your fridge. Let sit a minimum of 8 hours.
- When ready to serve, place 3-6 spoonfuls of the mixture into a mug.
- Fill the mug with boiling water (like you’re making tea).
- (Holiday Edition, optional) Place one Old-Fashioned Peppermint Stick into the mug.
- Sip carefully until the drink cools and enjoy!
The base drink works as a lovely reminder of the warmer months; while the addition of the peppermint stick, helps to offset the sourness of oranges that tend to be on store shelves this time of year.