As you might imagine, I’m bored at work1 and I’m trying to come up with something to keep my brain alive. So here’s another QotD2 for you; what are your favorite web development tools?
My response is slightly complicated because I use both Linux & Windows and use different tools under each. Note that these lists are presented in no particular order.
Linux Web Development Tools
- Quanta for editing HTML, CSS & PHP.
- Bluefish is another good tool for editing HTML, CSS & PHP but its interface just feels a lot more clutured.
- GIMP for editing images, though to be perfectly honest I hate using it because the interface is just wretched. Unfortunately, I’m not aware of another image editor that I can use under Linux which has the functionality that I need.
Windows Web Development Tools
- UltraEdit is the best text editor for Windows. Period. It’s not free but there is a time-limited demo. You can edit pretty much anything with UltraEdit and there are additional wordlists & dictionaries for it to make it even easier to use. Though as I recall CSS is not included with the default word list –this means UltraEdit won’t do syntax highlighting for CSS by default– but an additional wordlist can be downloaded to take care of that.
- Fireworks MX is the best image editing program, particularly for web work. It’s interface feels very well laid out, hiding options you don’t immediately need and grouping similar options together. Plus, it uses Adobe Photoshop’s plugin architecture allowing you to easily expand the functionality of the software. Again, this isn’t free software but there is a time-limited demo. Unfortunately, the Crossweavers version of Wine lists this program as Known Not to Run; so I won’t be running this under Linux any time soon. *sigh*
1 For the record, I am working right now. I’m trying to get the program I test to generate some errors so I can test some new functionality that the programmers added to the error handling. Naturally now that I want the program to break; it’s not. *sigh*
2 QotD (acronym): There are 2 generally accecpted meanings for this acronym,
- Quote of the Day
- Question of the Day
Unless otherwise noted, this site uses the 2nd definition.
- Windows Tips
This post was inspired by a recent article over at LifeHacker. But before I get into the tips, I’m g …
- Installing new, quirky apps under Linux
First off, you need to go through a bit of a cultural shift. When you’re looking for/at quirky, lit …
If you’ve tried contacting me by email lately, I apologize for not responding but my Internet connec …
- amaroK & Magnatune
As has been noted on this blog multiple times, I use Linux. Specifically, I use SuSE Linux. For my d …
- Cellphones suck!
I confess. I’m a technophile. I like reading about new technologies and gadgets. Even better, I like …