While I run Kubuntu as my primary OS on all my home machines, my work machine has Windows XP on it.Â Recently our IT dept installed Norton AntiVirus 2006 on all our machines.Â Some people had problems with this immediately, while others (like myself) had not noticed any problems.Â Then today I tried to export some data out of Microsoft Access to a MySQL server via an ODBC connection; only the window to select which connection to use never came up.Â One of my co-workers had this problem last week and it quickly escalated into something of a nightmare causing her to get stuck with the office’s loaner machine.Â I did some googling and found a simpler solution to the problem:
- Double-click on Norton AntiVirus in the systray.
- Click on the Norton AntiVirus tab.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Virus And Spyware Protection Options (under Additional Options)
- Click on Miscellaneous under Advanced Options.
- Uncheck Turn on scanning for Microsoft Office documents.
- Click Ok.
- Restart your computer.
And that’s it.Â Simply disabling Norton’s Office plugin fixed the problem for me.