This recipe is a favorite of Mark’s and mine that I got from the Everyday Foods magazine.
Indian-spiced Braised Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I use white meat)
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes drained
- 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- course salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- cooked white rice for serving
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together chicken, onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, ginger, garlic, coriander and cayenne; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on high 4 hours (or on low 8 hours) until fork-tender.
- Stir in yogurt, cilantro, and if using, garam masala.
- Serve with rice.
Alternative Oven Method
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Follow step 1, using a 5-quart lidded heavy pot.
- Stir in 2 cups of water.
- Cover; bake until tender, about 2 hours.
- Stir in yogurt, cilantro, and if using garam masala.
- Serves 4
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Total time is 4 hours and 15 minutes
This rated a 10 out of 10 with Mark. If you can’t take spiciness then lessen the cayene pepper. I will have more recipes appear at Ariesna at live journal. Since I plan on more experimenting with new recipes. 🙂