This recipe is from my Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, (page 248).
Hamburger Pie (a.k.a Shepherd’s Pie)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 10oz. bag of mixed vegetables
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can of tomato or cheese soup (10.5oz – 11oz). I highly recommend using a cheese soup!
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 package of instant mashed potatoes (enough for four servings)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Run cold water over vegetables to separate.
- In a large skillet, cook meat and onion till meat is brown. Drain.
- Stir vegetables and 1/4 cup water into skillet.
- Cook, covered , 5 to 10 minutes or till tender.
- Stir in soup, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Prepare potatoes according to package directions. Drop in mounds (potatoes) atop the hot mixture. Bake in an oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till hot.